Free Mobile App – Vaccines on the Go: What You Should Know
It’s easier than ever to get health information. But sometimes, it’s difficult to weed out the “good” information, which is scientifically accurate, from the “bad” information, which is not based on science. This is especially true for vaccines.
In a continued effort to provide the public with information about the science, safety and importance of vaccines, the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (VEC) recently updated its popular app, called Vaccines on the Go: What You Should Know, so anyone can access vaccine information wherever and whenever they need it.
Vaccine app features
The redesigned Vaccines on the Go: What You Should Know mobile app continues to offer information about:
- Vaccines and the diseases they prevent
- Recommended immunization schedules for children, teens and adults
- Vaccine safety concerns, including autism, thimerosal, and too many vaccines
New information includes:
- How the immune system works, including what happens during an infection or when a person is immune compromised
- Disease and vaccine information related to travel, including descriptions of cholera, Japanese encephalitis virus, typhoid and yellow fever
- Enhanced video offerings, including animations related to how viruses attack cells, maternal antibodies and immunizations, and more
Additional features include:
- Updated graphics depicting disease characteristics, such as levels of contagiousness and typical disease timelines
- An opportunity to receive updates through the app
- Vaccine-related trivia
- A place to record notes or questions for the next doctor’s visit
- Ways to stay connected with the VEC, including sending us vaccine-related questions or signing up for Parents PACK, our free monthly e-newsletter
- Links to a variety of online resources, including booklets and Q&A sheets
Providers: Get free posters to share with your patients
If you would like to share information about this app with your patients and their families, you can order free updated posters from the VEC. Posters are 8.5”x11” in size, making them easy to hang in waiting or exam rooms or to add to patient information packets.
App wins “Award of Distinction”
In 2014, the Vaccines on the Go mobile App was selected among 6,000 entries as an “Award of Distinction” winner in the annual Academy of Interactive and Visual Arts’ Communicator Awards.
Reviewed on October 23, 2019