To commemorate Dr. Hilleman’s remarkable legacy, the Vaccine Makers Project of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia is holding a student essay contest. Students in grades 6 to 12 are invited to learn about Dr. Hilleman’s life and accomplishments and submit a 500-600 word essay that answers the question, “How would the world be different if Dr. Hilleman had not lived the life he did?”
Entries are open now through June 7, 2019.
Contest winners and prizes
Essays will be judged on adherence to the submission guidelines, grammar and language, originality and organization. Judging will take into consideration author’s age. Each of three winners will receive a $1,000 cash prize and a trip to Philadelphia for September 18-20, 2019, including:
- Round trip transportation to Philadelphia for each winner and chaperone*
- Hotel room for each winner and chaperone to share for two nights in Philadelphia*
- Tour of labs at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia Research Institute and breakfast with CHOP scientist
- Two (2) tickets to the Franklin Institute
- Two (2) Philadelphia City Passes to see 3 attractions
- Dinner with Hilleman Film movie production team
Attendance at “Memories of Maurice” evening reception where winners will share their winning essays and receive their awards
* Transportation and accommodations coordinated through Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia
Eligibility and entry
Students in grades 6 to 12 living in the United States, District of Columbia, or U.S. Territories and currently enrolled in a school in the United States are eligible to participate. Students must be enrolled in a public, private, cyber, religious or charter school, or attend a home school program. Interested students should compose a 500-600 word essay that answers the essay question and submit their essay, according to the contest requirements, along with the required entry and permissions form, found on the Hilleman film website by the contest deadline of June 7, 2019. Visit the essay contest page to learn more or access the rules and the entry and permissions form.
Visit HillemanFilm.com to:
- Get the contest entry form
- Get details about the contest, official rules, and check out prize details
- Learn about Dr. Hilleman’s life
- View the Hilleman film trailer
Bonus for teachers
As a bonus, the teacher named in each winning entry will receive a signed copy of Vaccinated: One Man’s Quest to Defeat the World’s Deadliest Diseases, Dr. Hilleman’s biography, written by Paul A. Offit, MD.
Questions about the essay contest, the Hilleman film, the Vaccine Makers Project or other Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia projects, programs, or resources? Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.